READY IN: 15 mins SERVES:6
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1/2 tbsp of saffron threads
- 1L (4 cups) evaporated milk
- 335g caster sugar
- 50g pistachio kernels, finely chopped
- 50g blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 3 ripe mangoes, to serve
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, extra, to serve
- Combine the saffron and the warm milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and 2 tbsp of water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and boil on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture and sugar, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 25 minutes, while stirring occasionally and scrapping the sides.
- Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add the saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into 8 kulfi moulds and freeze overnight.
- To unmould, allow the moulds to remain outside the freezer for 5 minutes and then unmould by inserting a wooden skewer stick or a fork in the centre of the kulfi and pulling it out.
- Serve immediately.