READY IN: 45mins SERVES:8
- 1 kg pumpkin flesh – peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 red onions – peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic – peeled and roughly chopped
- 1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep saucepan.
- Add the onions, garlic, pumpkin and cinnamon and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron threads to the hot stock and pour into the soup pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F/ Gas Mark 6.
- Place the cubed bread onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Puree the soup. Season to taste and reheat.