READY IN: 45mins SERVES:4
- 1 lb veal (or boneless chicken breasts)
- 2 1⁄2tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3⁄4cup dry white wine
- 1 cup broth (beef or chicken depending on meat)
- 1⁄4teaspoon saffron thread
- 3⁄4cup heavy cream (or half & half)
- Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1/2 T Butter and 2 tsp of oil in heavy frying pan over high heat.
- Working in batches, add meat and saute until just cooked through and golden, about 45-60 seconds per side.
- Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with more butter and oil as necessary.
- Melt 1 T butter and add 1 T oil in same pan over high heat. Add the shallots, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until shallots are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add broth and saffron and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Return the sauce to a simmer.
- Season sauce with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over meat and serve.